|This article is about a/an crossover special in the Tokusatsu Super Hero subgenre.|
|Ultraman vs. Kamen Rider|
|A special for Ultraman and Kamen Rider|
|Air date July 21, 1993|
Ultra Q The Movie: Legend of the Stars
Previous in other series
Next in other series
Ultraman vs. Kamen Rider (ウルトラマンVS仮面ライダー Urutoraman Bui Esu Kamen Raidā?) is the name of a television special that aired July 21, 1993 featuring clips from the various series from over the years, interviews with two of the stars, and finally a team-up between Tsuburaya Productions' Ultraman and Toei Company's Kamen Rider. It was also released on VHS and Laserdisc in 1993. In 2011, Ultraman vs. Kamen Rider was re-released on Blu-Ray and DVD for the 45th anniversary of the Ultra Series and the 40th anniversary of the Kamen Rider Series.
The special is an in-depth retrospective of the two franchises, making comparisons between the different characters, their weapons, powers and so forth. Segments include:
- “The Specium Ray Vs. The Rider Kick”, which showcases the various attacks and finishing moves of each character.
- “Jet VTOL Vs. Cyclone”, which spotlights the many jets, tanks and other vehicles used in the Ultra Series, and the different motorcycles ridden by the Kamen Riders.
- “ Kaiju Vs. Kaijin”, in which the many giant monsters (kaiju), and humanoid monsters (kaijin) that have been fought over the years are shown.
- "Henshin Vs. Henshin" shows the different transformation rituals of the Ultra Brothers and Kamen Riders.
- "!?" is a humorous segment examining some of the more wacky and oddball moments of the various shows (such as various Kaijin grunts, growls, and other sounds, characters acting silly, and other funny moments).
The final segment of the special is the short film "Super Battle: Ultraman vs Kamen Rider" The main characters, Ultraman and Kamen Rider 1 appear on the scene separately, each fighting an original kaijin and kaiju. When the two monsters are nearly defeated, they merge into a more powerful kaiju. Ultraman experiences trouble and calls for Kamen Rider 1's help. Kamen Rider 1 is then able to grow to enormous size to fight alongside Ultraman. Combining their powers, the two were able to successfully destroy the monster.
|Kamen Rider 1||Takeshi Hongo|
After having been unavailable for years, it was announced in a press conference held on June 24, 2011 at the offices of Bandai that the special is being released on both DVD and Blu-ray on Oct. 26th, 2011. This is to celebrate the 45th anniversary of Ultraman, and the 40th anniversary of Kamen Rider. To be included with the release is a special interview with Susumu Kurobe who played Shin Hayata (Ultraman), and Hiroshi Fujioka who played Takeshi Hongo (Kamen Rider #1).
The short, with the exception of the narrator and some background extras, featured no face or voice actors, only suit actors, and only used recycled soundbytes for both the voices of Ultraman and Kamen Rider 1.
- Producer: Butsuda Hiroshi (佛田洋 Butsuda Hiroshi?)
- Director: Keita Amemiya
- Suit actors
- Theme song
- "Tatakau Tame ni Umareta Senshi" (戦うために生まれた戦士? The Soldier Born to Fight)
- In the opening sequence featuring images of the Ultramen and Kamen Riders, Kamen Rider 2 was not featured.
- The credits sequence was redone for the DVD release of this special.
- At the end of the credits sequence, Ultraman is seen riding on a giant New Cyclone labelled with the Science Special Search Party's logo on it, while Giant Kamen Rider 1 is seen doing Ultraman's signature Specium Ray stance.