Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article is about a/an movie in the Tokusatsu Super Hero subgenre.|
|Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie|
|A movie for Uchuu Keiji Gavan and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger|
|Release date January 21, 2012|
|Written by Naruhisa Arakawa|
|Directed by Shoujirou Nakazawa|
|Order in Continuity|
Robotack's Death at Sea
Previous in other series
Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie
Next in other series
Tetsuwan Tantei Robotack and Kabutack: The Great Strange Country Adventure
Previous in other series
Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie (海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャーVS宇宙刑事ギャバンTHE MOVIE Kaizoku Sentai Gōkaijā Tai Uchū Keiji Gyaban Za Mūbī?) is a crossover between Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and Uchuu Keiji Gavan, the original Metal Hero Series in 1982. It premiered on January 21st, 2012. Though Super Sentai series normally have a team up with the previous one in January, Gokaiger's team up with Tensou Sentai Goseiger, Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle, premiered in June as the 35th anniversary movie of Super Sentai. The catchphrase of the movie is "Space Pirates vs. Space Sheriff" (宇宙海賊VS宇宙刑事 Uchū Kaizoku Tai Uchū Keiji?)
Kenji Ohba stars as Retsu Ichijouji aka Gavan, along with his 'Super Sentai roles, Shirou Akebono (Battle Kenya) and Daigoro Oume (DenziBlue). The heroes of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters also make a cameo appearance in the film.
Kamen Rider producer, Shinichirô Shirakura (Kabuto, Decade ) was asked by a fan on Twitter if there would be a Metal Hero 30th Anniversary movie in which he replied in English, "That's a good question."
Hiroshi Watari, who played Gavan's successor, Space Sheriff Sharivan, confirmed that his character will not appear. Tetsu Inada, who voices Doggie Kruger (DekaMaster), who was stated to be Gavan's friend in the pamphlet for Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle, also confirmed his character will not appear.
Toei producer Taka-aki Utsunomiya has stated that the intention of the movie is to "go beyond the boundaries of the series and seek a truly meaningful collaboration". Kenji Ohba (now 56 years old) who first started in the business as a suit actor will reprise his classic role as Retsu Ichijou aka Gavan.
Filming began in October. "An interesting theme in my performance is about learning how to overcome the passage of time and have the courage!" said Ohba. Commenting on his younger co-stars, Ohba said, "I have a thick face, while they're all younger and clean-faced, and yet they're more serious and less easygoing than I was at their age."
The legendary Space Sheriff Gavan is hired to capture the Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. However, Gavan himself is captured by Gavan Bootleg and is trapped in the worst prison in the universe. The Gokaigers resolve to rescue the sheriff from the prison and join forces with him to fight Gavan Bootleg.
The movie begins with the Gokai Galleon being attacked by Gavan's ship, the Dolgrian. Despite using the Galleon Cannons, Electronic Star Beast Dol separates from Dolgiran transforming into its Dragon Mode and takes out the Galleon. Gai witnesses the ship's crash landing from the ground while getting food. Marvelous and the crew escape the Galleon, but are intercepted by the legendary space sheriff, Gavan. He says that the Gokaigers are under arrest for acts of piracy. Though Captain Marvelous and the Gokaigers claim the investigation by the Special Police Dekaranger cleared them of the piracy charges , Gavan approaches them and the Gokaigers transform. Despite being outnumbered, the veteran sheriff easily defeats and apprehends them.
On board the Dolgiran, the Gokaigers come to the realization that Gai was still free. When the Gokaigers are brought into a indoor stadium, they are met by armed Space Police and Chief of Space Police Weeval. As the pirates are led to the gallows, Gavan questions Weeval about the specifics of the Gokaigers' acts of piracy when they proclaimed their innocence. Weeval says that he doesn't need to hear their claims, but Gavan says that they have to follow procedure as Space Police. However, Weeval tells Gavan that they defied the Zangyack, which confuses the dangling Gokaigers. As they are about to be executed, Gavan releases the Gokaigers, who fight the armed guards who are Gormin in disguise. Gavan explains to Marvelous that he arrested the Gokaigers to draw out the fake Weeval, as the Space Police would never join the Zangyack. Weeval then reveals his true identity as the action commander Chief of Makuu Prison Ashurada. Ashurada congratulates Gavan on his ingenuity for using the pirates to flush him out. However, he introduces Gavan Bootleg, a Space Sheriff like robot whose design is based on both Space Police and Zangyack technologies. Gavan Bootleg manages to match Gavan's every move, and more Gormin appear to surround the Gokaigers. Gavan tells the Gokaigers to run as he'll handle the last of them. After tossing their Mobirates to them, Marvelous notices a familiar hand signal that Gavan gives. Marvelous is left spaced out as the other Gokaigers tranform to fight off the Gormin until Gai and GoZyuDrill appears and rescues the Gokaigers. With the pirates out of the way, Ashurada has Bootleg transport Gavan to the Makuu Space, to Gavan's shock as the police had destroyed the syndicate. From the sidelines, Basco ta Jolokia notes that Marvelous got himself into trouble again.
On board the Galleon, Gai boasts of his impeccable timing, which Don and Luka start harassing him about. Joe notices Marvelous feeling down and asks if he's worried about Gavan. He says that he may know Gavan from his past, and Ahim asks for the details. Marvelous explains that while he was a young stowaway on a ship, the Zangyack began to attack it, causing a large fire and cutting off his means of escape. However, Gavan told him to jump and said that he could either seize his future and live through the ordeal or die. He told the young Marvelous to "count on courage", and the young Marvelous took a leap of faith into the arms of Gavan. Joe tells Marvelous that he (Marvelous) owes Gavan his life for that act. Basco then calls Marvelous to give him information on the fate of Gavan.
On board the Gigant Horse, Dyrandoh berates Ashurada for failing to accomplish his mission, but Ackdos Gill gives Ashurada the chance to explain himself. At the same time, the Gokaigers meet Basco, who tells them that Gavan was taken into Makuu Space, a parallel dimension created by the revived Crime Syndicate Makuu made of malicious energy. Ashurada explains that Gavan had dismantled the Makuu Syndicate, leaving the space to collapse significantly, and Ashurada reveals that he is related to their original leader, Don Horror and has inherited his blood. Ashurada's plan is to catalyze his blood to expand the Makuu Space. Insarn explains to a confused Dyrandoh that "catalyze" means torturing Gavan to arouse the blood of Don Horror, and she realizes that the Makuu Space's expansion could consume Earth. Basco tells the Gokaigers that Gavan is purportedly at the top floor of the Makuu Prison, the worst in the universe. To further the challenge, Basco says that no one has escaped the prison in its 2,600 years of existence. He leaves the Gokaigers with a warning to Marvelous not to go there.
Oddly, the six see a man who appears to be Gavan, walking while coaching a panda in how to walk upright. Gai notes that it's not Gavan, but rather Shirou Akebono, formerly known as Battle Kenya of Battle Fever J. Joe is further confused when another man who also looks like Gavan shows up with a cart, this time Daigoro Oume, who used to be DenziBlue. While Luka notes their similarities in appearance to Gavan, Gai dismisses her comment, by saying the way they smell can tell them apart.
However, through this, Shirou and Digoro tell them to use the Battle Kenya and DenziBlue Ranger Keys to generate a portal leading to the prison using those team's Greater Powers. Before they set off, Marvelous says that he should go alone, but Joe says that Gavan set his path to becoming a pirate and that they'd do as they wish since that was what it meant to be a pirate. The Gokaigers successfully break into the prison while Gavan is brutally whipped by Gavan Bootleg. The Gokaigers discover that villains and former villains such as Jealousto, Bae, Vancuria, Dark Shadow, the remnants of Gaiark's ministry, and others are being held captive. After their cover was blown after the immense ruckus the former Sentai villains made in wanting to get out and a Gormin finds them, the Gokaigers freed the villains and fought the incoming horde.
With the Gokai Galleon abandoned, Basco prepares to the board the ship and lay claim to it and the Grand Powers. However, just as he prepares to do so, he finds himself confronted by an unfamiliar team claiming themselves to be the 36th Super Sentai, the Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Basco and the Go-Busters briefly do battle, however Basco finds Sally too busy eating bananas (thanks to Yoko, who gave her the fruit) to help him. As a result, he decides to abort the plan to board the Galleon and leaves. The Go-Busters decide to leave the rest to the Gokaigers.
Joe and Gai take the Gormins on by transforming into the boxing Rangers, DenziBlue and Go-On Gold while their teammates try to find Gavan. The Zangyack used the Makuu CIty to delay the Gokaigers, with each door now a portal to other locations. Luka and Doc fight the family of the Sneak Brothers as HurricaneYellow and Battle Kenya, while Marvelous and Ahim reach the next floor to find themselves near the ocean to fight Robogōgu of the 10-sai as Gosei Red and Gosei Pink. They then mysteriously get sent to a forest and briefly fight Kinggon of the Bigfoot, then once more to a quarry to fight Great King Mons Drake. Ahim uses the Twistornado card to divert Mons Drake's attention while Marvelous flies for the final door.
Back in his Gokai Red form, Marvelous finds Gavan on the top floor, but Ashurada sends Gavan Bootleg to fight the pirate, who declares that he'll make the first escape in the prison's history. After enduring a grueling fight with Bootleg, Marvelous manages to free Gavan, and the Gokaigers blast a large hole in their respective floors of the prison, then reunite with Joe and Gai on the bottom floor. Gai then activates the Gokai Galleon Buster with a Special Charge as they destroy the prison, and they open another portal to make their exit. Having returned to Earth, Gavan battles Gavan Bootleg while the Gokaigers fight Ashurada. They activate all-pink, all-white, and all-red Gokai Changes and Gavan finishes Gavan Bootleg off with the Gavan Dynamic.
The Gokaigers defeat the Action Commander Ashurada with a Gokai Slash and Shooting Star after using the Gokai Blast to get rid of Ashurada's extra arms. However, he grows in size, causing the Makuu Space to expand and start enveloping the Earth, causing the Gokaigers to summon GokaiOh and GoZyuDrill to form GoZyu GokaiOh. However Ashurada uses telekinesis to attack with buildings and the mecha is quickly overwhelmed. Engine Machalcon comes in unannounced to assist the Gokaigers and form Kanzen GokaiOh, which then surfs around on the back of Electronic Starbeast Dol, and hit him with some Dol Lasers and a Kanzen Slash to stun him, then hit him with the Dol Gokai Fire to destroy the drills on Ashurada's shoulders. Marvelous jumps out of the robo's cockpit, and he and Gavan position themselves atop the dragon's head, then execute the Gavan Marvelous Dynamic (ギャバンマーベラスダイナミック Gyaban Māberasu Dainamikku?) to finish off Ashurada.
Having won the battle, Gavan takes the time to tell Marvelous that he's proud of what he has become. Not just as a pirate, but a good man. Shirou and Daigoro then join in the celebration. A voice requests the heroes to all transform together, soon the Gokaigers return their respective keys and they all transform. After this, Gai's excitement causes him to request autographs from the three heroes.
Continuity and Placement
- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: Set between Ep. 44 and Ep. 47.
- Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Though Hiromu Sakurada officially becomes Red Buster only later on in Mission 1: Special Mission Task Force, Assemble!, it's been hinted that he underwent some training and testing behind his sister's back prior to the start of the series. This film likely occurs in that period. The Go-Busters officially share the battlefield with the Gokaiger and Goseiger in Super Hero Taisen, which occurs sometime after Mission 6: Combine! Go-BusterOh.
|Gokai Red||Captain Marvelous|
|Gokai Blue||Joe Gibken|
|Gokai Yellow||Luka Millfy|
|Gokai Green||Don Dogoier|
|Gokai Pink||Ahim de Famille|
|Gokai Silver||Gai Ikari|
|Space Sheriff Gavan||Retsu Ichijouji|
|Battle Kenya||Shirou Akebono|
And Introducing the Go-Busters
|Red Buster||Hiromu Sakurada|
|Blue Buster||Ryuji Iwasaki|
|Yellow Buster||Yoko Usami|
|Gavan Bootleg||Gavan Bootleg|
- Trinoid 12: Yatsudenwani (Abaranger)
- Phantom Spy Vancuria (Magiranger)
- Dark Shadow Syndicate (Boukenger)
- Fierce Beast Fly-Fist Bae (Gekiranger)
- Three Gaiark Ministers (Go-Onger)
- Evil Spirits Leaders (Goseiger)
- Jealousto (Gokaiger)
- Elder (Sneak Brother (Gokaiger)
- Younger Sneak Sister (Gokaiger)
- Captain Marvelous: Ryota Ozawa (小澤 亮太 Ozawa Ryōta?)
- Captain Marvelous (Child): Tatsuomi Hamada
- Joe Gibken: Yuki Yamada (山田 裕貴 Yamada Yūki?)
- Luka Millfy: Mao Ichimichi (市道 真央 Ichimichi Mao?)
- Don "Doc" Dogoier: Kazuki Shimizu (清水 一希 Shimizu Kazuki?)
- Ahim de Famille: Yui Koike (小池 唯 Koike Yui?)
- Gai Ikari: Junya Ikeda (池田 純矢 Ikeda Jun'ya?)
- Retsu Ichijouji, Shirou Akebono, Daigoro Oume: Kenji Ohba (大葉 健二 Ōba Kenji?)
- Basco ta Jolokia: Kei Hosogai (細貝 圭 Hosogai Kei?)
- Sally (Voice): Toru Omura
- Navi (Voice): Yukari Tamura (田村 ゆかり Tamura Yukari?)
- Machalcon (Voice): Hiroaki Hirata (平田 広明 Hirata Hiroaki?)
- Shizuka of the Wind: Mami Yamasaki
- Gekkou of Illusions (Voice): Ginga Banjo
- Earth Pollution Minister Baron Yogorex de Stein (Voice): Kiyoyuki Yanada
- Air Pollution Minister Kitaneidas (Voice): Mitsuaki Madono
- Water Pollution Minister Kegalesia: Nao Oikawa
- Fierce Beast Fly-Fist Bae (Voice): Akira Ishida
- Jealousto (Voice): Takahiro Sakurai
- Elder Sneak Brother (Voice): Shigeru Chiba
- Sister Sneak Brother (Voice): Emiri Katō
- Trinoid 12: Yatsudenwani (Voice): Kyosei Tsukui
- Weeval: Shiro Sano
- Red Buster (Voice): Katsuhiro Suzuki
- Blue Buster (Voice): Ryouma Baba
- Yellow Buster (Voice): Arisa Komiya
- Narration, Mobirates Voice, Gokai Sabre Voice, Gokai Gun Voice, Gokai Cellular Voice, Gokai Spear Voice, Gokai Galleon Buster Voice: Tomokazu Seki (関 智一 Seki Tomokazu?)
- Gokai Red: Hirofumi Fukuzawa (福沢 博文 Fukuzawa Hirofumi?)
- Gokai Blue: Yoshifumi Oshikawa (押川 善文 Oshikawa Yoshifumi?)
- Gokai Yellow: Yuichi Hachisuka (蜂須賀 祐一 Hachisuka Yūichi?)
- Gokai Green: Yasuhiro Takeuchi (竹内 康博 Takeuchi Yasuhiro?)
- Gokai Pink: Naoko Kamio (神尾 直子 Kamio Naoko?)
- Gokai Silver: Daisuke Satō (佐藤 太輔 Satō Daisuke?)
- Gavan: Kōsuke Asai (浅井 宏輔 Asai Kōsuke?)
- Gavan Bootleg: Naoki Ofuji (大藤 直樹 Ōfuji Naoki?)
- Gokai Changes in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie:
- Gokai Red - Gosei Red, PteraRanger, Big One, Akarenger
- Gokai Blue - DenziBlue, Pink Flash, DekaBreak, Red Racer
- Gokai Yellow - HurricaneYellow, Bouken Pink, GaoWhite, Princess Shinken Red
- Gokai Green - Battle Kenya, FivePink, AbareKiller, OhRed
- Gokai Pink - Gosei Pink, MegaPink, GekiChopper, MagiRed
- Gokai Silver - Go-On Gold, DynaPink, KibaRanger, TimeFire
- This is the first time male Gokaigers change into Pink Rangers. As a result, this is the first glimpse of a male Pink Ranger in all of Super Sentai.
- This also marks the first, and only, time Marvelous, Don, and Gai transform into female Rangers, as well as the only time Joe transforms into a non-Blue female Ranger.
- This is the second time an all-White Gokai Change is featured, with the first being from episode 3. In both cases, the Big One and GaoWhite Keys are used, the latter of which is used by Luka twice.
- GaoWhite stands out from the the other White Rangers used in this Gokai Change three ways:
- She is the only one to be female.
- She is the only one whose Ranger name contains the word "White".
- She is the only one who is initially part of her season's team, with the others either considered as Sixth Rangers (KibaRanger, AbareKiller, DekaBreak) or an additional warrior to a team that didn't start with five members (Big One, GekiChopper).
- GaoWhite stands out from the the other White Rangers used in this Gokai Change three ways:
- Ahim has the most opposite gender Gokai Changes in this movie with 2, while the others each have 1.
- Goseiger is the only Sentai team to receive more than one Gokai Change representative in this movie.
- During the Gokai Changes with the main villain, none of the respective keys announce their teams' names, except for the all-Red Gokai Change.
- Both of the Rangers Marvelous transforms into during the all-Pink and all-White Changes have some type of leadership quality.
- During each of the three all-color Gokai Changes, the Gokaigers display a different style of fighting.
- Pink: The Gokaigers use shooting weapons.
- White: The Gokaigers use hand-to-hand combat.
- Red: The Gokaigers, except Marvelous, use bladed weapons.
- As the Gokaigers go from the all-White to all-Red Change, Marvelous is seen changing from Big One into Akarenger. Ironically, as shown in Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle, Akarenger was the leader of the Super Sentai during the Great Legend War, with Big One as his right hand man.
- The Skick Gokai Change for Marvelous and Ahim may refer back to Come Back! Tensou Sentai Goseiger: Last Epic - The Gosei Angels are National Icons!? when Alata and Eri fight a combined squadron of Mons Drake, Kingong, and Robogog in a fake fight where the villains were just the other Goseigers using Hyde's Camoumirage illusion.
- This is the second time a Super Sentai series has physically crossed over with a series from another Tokusatsu franchise, the first being the crossover between Samurai Sentai Shinkenger and Kamen Rider Decade. However, this is the first crossover with another Tokusatsu show to be in a movie, as the one with Kamen Rider Decade were two episodes.
- While J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai vs. Gorenger mentioned other Tokusatsu heroes fighting alongside them, none of them actually showed up alongside the two Sentai teams.
- Yogostein is seen holding the same bottle of beer which the Three Gaiark Ministers took from Genta without paying in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger: GinmakuBang!!.
- This is the first time that non-Gokaiger keys are used in the GokaiGalleon Buster. While the Gokai Silver Key is inserted into the primary slot, resulting in a Special Charge, the four other keys used are MegaSilver, GaoSilver, Bouken Silver, and Go-On Silver. This would happen again in the last episode and in Kamen Rider × Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen.
- The ending sequence where the mysterious voice asks the three Ohbas to transform into their respective heroes (Battle Kenya, DenziBlue, Gavan) one last time is a reference to the end of the Space Sheriff trilogy where a mysterious voice asks Gavan, Sharivan, and Shaider to transform one last time.
- During the transformation/roll call sequence, a narrator notates Gavan's transformation much like the original series, and when the narrator notates the Gokaiger's transformation, it is in the same style as Gavan's transformation explanation. Also, during the transformation scene, the Gavan transformation music from the end of the Space Sherrif trilogy plays as Gavan transforms.
- Final appearance of GoZyu GokaiOh.
- According to this movie, it takes a Sentai team 0.1 milliseconds to transform, and Gavan a mere twentieth of a second to transform.
- This is the first team-up where an ally of the new Sentai team appears with them in a cameo. In this case, Cheeda Nick appears in his motorcycle mode ridden by Red Buster.
- Unlike the Goseigers and Gokaigers' "early bird cameos", the Go-Busters' cameo occurs in the middle of the movie instead of near the end.
- The theme song of the film is JUMP by Tsuyoshi Matsubara and Akira Kushida, who are the theme song interpreters of the two teamed-up shows Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (by Tsuyoshi Matsubara) and Uchuu Keiji Gavan (by Akira Kushida).